In the last three years, more than 2.3 million immigrants became naturalized citizens of the United States. However, during that same period, more than 220,000 permanent residents had their citizenship application denied. But why, and what steps can you take to ensure it doesn’t happen to you?
While there are a number of reasons people have their Form N-400, Application for Naturalization denied, the top five reasons are:
- They failed either the English or Civics tests.
- They have a criminal history.
- They failed to meet the continuous residence and physical presence requirements.
- They failed to meet financial obligations, such as a failure to pay taxes.
- They lied to representatives of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
At the Law Office of Raymond O. Griffith, we love being able to participate in realizing the dream of immigrants moving to the U.S. As the son of immigrants from the Caribbean, Griffith experienced the journey of immigration firsthand, and puts more than 20 years of experience to work in finding a solution to even the most complex immigration problems. If you have questions or you’re ready to schedule a consultation, then contact us online or by phone today. Our team of Baltimore immigration lawyers looks forward to helping you complete your journey to citizenship.